Monday, April 23, 2012

Credit Cards while checking-in into hotels???

Hi

I have experienced this in KL and, from reading some reviews, it seems that it is the same in Singapore - hotels asking you to provide them with your credit card upon checking-in.

Now, I intend to pay for my stay in advance (from AUS) and do not use the minibar at all (in fact, rather have it empty so that I can store my own water %26amp; food inside!) and have never damaged anything inside a hotel or elsewhere.

Reading some reviews, it seems that some visitors had nasty surprises on their credit cards (%26amp; even worse with debit cards), some of them some time after leaving Singapore, something I would like to avoid, especially being a debit card user.

Is there any way around it?

Do hotels accept cash as deposit (not in Singapore Dollars - as, by the time I get it back, there will be not much use for it...) or, if you ask them to empty the minibar, do they forgoe the deposit all together? I really want to avoid giving my debit card with no good reason.

Thanks :-)

Credit Cards while checking-in into hotels???

Hi,

Best to check with the hotel of your intend.

And not in Singapore but elsewhere, yes hotels do accept CASH as deposit if we do not want them to swipe our credit/debit card during the check-in. When you do your checking-out, always check your bill before signing and there should be no reason they will charge you others after that.

And if you do get cash back (in Sgd), well you have heaps to do/shop/eat in Singapore airport.

Hv fun.

Credit Cards while checking-in into hotels???

I cannot recall any Hotel in Asia where there have not been asked for a credit card on check in. This even occurs when the room is paid for by the company or when the room is prepaid.

This is a common practice.

They will normally swipe the card but you will not normally be asked to sign the slip.


As an aside when booking a hotel in Asia on an Australian hotel website, I used my Singapore credit card. They told me it was not accepted unless i provided them witha photo copy of both sides of my credit card and my passport.

In the age if identity theft it was not something i was prepared to do so i cancelled the booking.


Yes in fact most hotel including the big 5* ones will take a cash deposit if a credit card is not available. Its is usually $100 per day for the duration of your stay (so 5day is $500), but may vary from hotel to hotel. A credit card is the safest way to pay for this and any other deposits though, you dont have much recourse if you pay cash or with a debit card.


I don%26#39;t possess a credit card and haven%26#39;t for the last 10 years. I prefer to pay cash, but hotel receptionist look at you as if you have 2 heads when you inform them you have no card and want to pay upfront. They always ask for a deposit witch I%26#39;m happy to provide but sometimes I made to feel embarrassed that I choose to shun credit and prefer to pay in hard cash.

I wish hotels would understand that not everyone wants or needs a credit card. I never spend money I don%26#39;t have and prefer not to be tempted to.


^^ yep I understand their reaction as it is only money launderes and other shady people who carry that much cash around with them these days :)


Hmmmm we seem to have an expert on money laundering and shady deals, seems to me like he has a lot of expertise in criminality :[ Anyway why make such a derogatory statement. I%26#39;ve earned a lot of money through hard work and enjoy carrying it. The reaction I enjoy from the receptionist is when you pull out a very large wad of high denomination bills, That usually removes any smugness.

I really do laugh at people who judge people and make accusations from the the safety of their PC. Please get a life and keep your negative opinions and innuendos to you self.


Sorry to everyone, but I do dislike smart a$$ed, opinionated people who look for the negatives and are of no help. I must say he%26#39;s the first I%26#39;ve came across on TA.

All the best

Billy.


Hi La Sunny,

As per advised by earlier members, it%26#39;s best to just check with the hotel of your intent. If you want to do cash deposit, you would also need to know how much a day the particular hotel requires and so you can prepare enough cash?

Sometimes hiccups do happen no matter which hotel you checked in... so always check the receipt for details.

Cash is definitely good! I also always choose to pay in cash whenever possible when i%26#39;m overseas to avoid unnecessary currency conversion rates as I dont really fancy the rates offered by the banks. And cash is definitely the way to a debt-free life!

But do pardon the front-desk staff who looked at you as if you have 2 heads and 3 eyes. Coz they are just too used to the norm of the credit card culture in the hotels. Positively they could be stunned because of the cash flashed in front of them. For all you know they wished they were you! =) And that we only have to blame on the extensive marketing of the media which has brain-washed our perceptions and way of life.

Cheers,

Suying


Thanks for all of your replies!

TravelwithSuyig -

It wasn%26#39;t me who mentioned carrying the cash around, but billyboy1957.

Nevertheless, when I mentioned in the KL hotel that I do not have a credit card they did look at me as if I was from another planet ;-)...

I do have a debit card, but rather not give it or its details unless necessary.

Billyboy1957 -

I am totally with you. I only have a debit card as, just like yourself, I only spend what I have. I think that people will start questioning this credit card obsession (otherwise, the financial crisis will force them to).

As per the suggetion to spend the cash @ the airport - oh, well, not all of us have that much money to simply part of! The AUD is really bad at the moment, which means that my savings will not last long in Singapore,and exchanging to SGD and then exchanging back means additional costs which just add up... I am one of those who actually have to work very hard to be able to save for a holiday(unfortunatelly, not on an executive salary ;-)...)

I guess that I simply cannot understand why will they want that deposit. And as per the extra deposit for every additional day you stay - are they expecting you to damage/break/steal more the longer you stay??????LOL

Have any of you used a DEBIT CARD while checking in? Were there any problems with that? I read a few reviews who cautioned against using those as some people have experienced problems.

  • blue hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment