Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Singapore versus Hong Kong

I wanted to follow up on a thread that I read a while back on the Hong Kong Trip Advisor forum. The topic concerned a comparison of Hong Kong as a friendly, compelling tourist destination with other destinations (cities) in Asia. I took special notice of the comments regarding Singapore.

As I recall, the comparison was that (in general) the tourist experience in Singapore was slightly different from that in Hong Kong.

Anyone care to compare/contrast their personal experience in Hong Kong versus Singapore. I am interested because I have been to Hong Kong recently, and I am planning a trip to Singapore.

Also, honestly, because Singapore is a relatively expensive travel destination based upon the cost of hotels and restaurants (with 17% add on for taxes and service charge), I am deciding if the stop is worth it or not.

Singapore versus Hong Kong

hey tommy

since you have such a negative view about singapore. i think no matter how hard the sell by us to you, will only be met with more sceptism.

unless you look at a holiday to singapore or any destination(expensive or cheap) with a open mind, it will kind of difficult to sell that destination to you.

maybe, like you say.... whether the stop here is worth it or not is up to you to decide.

Singapore versus Hong Kong

Didn%26#39;t think that the OP was very negative. :)


I%26#39;ve never been to HK but visited SIN a few times.

I found hotels in Singapore expensive and was deceived a couple of times by mid-range hotels.

Otherwise I didn%26#39;t find Singapore expensive: taxis and public transport services are affordable.

Restaurants in touristy areas can be expensive but I prefer to go to food courts for a cheap and tasty meal (3-4 SGD). Beers and alcohol are more expensive.

So except for hotels, I do not consider SIN as an expensive destination at all :)


Hi Tommy190,

Last year I did a long overseas trip and spent a week in Singapore on the way out, and a week in Hong Kong on the way home to Australia. I have been going to both destinations regularly over the past 20 years. Singapore hotel costs have increased so much over the years. But its tourist attractions, transport system, cleanliness, shopping options have been enhanced and increased. I love Singapore and its history and culture. I want to go back soon, the only thing halting me is the ever rising hotel costs.

Last year I found Hong Kong over-developed and had lost a lot of its local asian/chinese culture and look. A lot of those areas had been demolished to make way for glass and steel shopping malls. The Kowloon area had been cleaned up since my previous visit (that time I found it grotty). I found Causeway Bay and Central area bland, though I always love the ride over the harbour on the Star Ferry.

Both destinations have their charms, but my favourite is Singapore.


Denise,

Thanks for your thoughtful response! :)

Tommy190


Hi Tommy, I havent been to HongKong but I have been visiting Singapore for over 20 years. I agree with the other people about hotels have become expensive (especially when there is a major event like F1 week), but other costs are still relatively affordable ie. food and transport. You can still find bargains with shopping. One thing about Singapore, the people are friendly and it has to be one of the safest cities around. We recently experienced major, major crowds at Orchard Rd on Christmas eve, where in some areas it was tight squeeze to walk along the footpath. Not once, did we experience any aggressive behaviour, everyone just took it in their stride!


had lived in both cities and still visit both on an annual basis.

If u have already been to HK (btw, HK island and Kowloon and the islands all have different feel to the towns so experiences vary depending on where u go), why dont u give SIN a try ?

SIN is like a blend of CA and NY while HK (island) is just like NY. Both have fun places to visit and depending on what u r looking for, it can be anything from costly to cheap. If u r not fussy, u can find reasonable places to stay in SIN.

Have fun.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested鈥?/a>

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8205-Singapore鈥?/a>


Thanks for the valuable insights (except for one).

I think I%26#39;ll give it a try in spite of the hotel fees. :)

Tommy190

  • chocolate mud cake
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment