Monday, April 23, 2012

A Month in Singapore

I will be in Singapre for the month of February (maybe longer) with my husband who will be there for work. I%26#39;ve been reading quite a bit and already have many things on my list of things to see and do. This forum has already been quite helpful.





We are both in our 30%26#39;s and I am very independent and don%26#39;t mind doing things on my own while he is working.





Other than doing Singapore, I thought we would go to KL and Bangkok. Given that he will be working Monday through Friday, should the trips be on seperate weekends? Does KL have a lot to offer, or would be be better served spending two different weekends in Bangkok?





Also, I possibly may have a friend meeting me in Bangkok or KL from South Korea. If my husband weren%26#39;t able to make the trip with me, would it be safe for me to take the train or bus to Bangkok or KL by myself? My friend is a male and has been to Thailand many times.





Many thanks for all input.





We are up for new adventures, so anything not in the guide books that you recommend in any of these three places?





A Month in Singapore


I would say go to Bangkok for 2 weekends. There is so much to see and experience there. Do check out the Bangkok forum for more information. Be wary of jewellery scams.





But as your friend has been to Thailand many times, probably not to KL, maybe it might be worthwhile having a trip to KL. Yes, you can take either the bus or the train to KL, but be prepared for a long ride of about 6-7 hours. If you are thinking of taking the overnight bus to KL, then take one from the more reputable bus companies who will have 2 drivers on the bus, and even track the bus%26#39;s location by GPS, eg Transtar. I wouldn%26#39;t recommend taking the train or bus to Bangkok, it would take more than 1 day.





Actually you could fly via budget airlines. Check out Tiger Air, JetStar Asia, Air Asia, etc.



A Month in Singapore


Thank you for your response. I would say that if I were going by myself to either Bangkok or Thailand, I could ride the train or bus since I wouln%26#39;t be pressed for time. However, if my husband is with me, I think your suggestion of flying would be advantageous considering time. I have not checked the prices of flights, but assume they would be fairly inexpensive.





Since I will be in Singapore for a month or longer, of course I will do the ';tourist'; thing. However, when I travel, I want to live like a local as well. I think that%26#39;s where the true experience is found. Is there anything I shouldn%26#39;t miss seeing or doing given my time frame?




I meant if I were going to Bangkok or KL instead of Bangkok or Thailand.




I would visit both KL and BKK simply coz both cities r different. In KL, the Batu (even though it is not in the city and u got to travel quite a bit to get there, but once u r there, it is worth that trip) Caves is a must see.





Many say SIN and KL is the same, yes it is very similar in so many ways but when u visit the Chinatown area, it has the feel of the SIN Chinatown more than 20 years ago (roadside stalls with tables and chairs on the roadside, cleaning dishes off the same area, etc.)





Instead of KL, I would have pick Penang as something unique (food esp.) and fun to visit. The other would be Malacca.





BKK is a good city to visit esp. lately with the flourish of local art scene (tons of galleries everywhere), definitely the spot to bring home some souvenirs !





SIN is a very safe city, u can easily get around in and out of the country easily and on your own but once u get to KL or BKK, watch ur wallet (both cities have a history of pickpocketers)





Good Luck and enjoy your trip.





PS. SIN is a great hub to explore Asia, I would also take long weekend trips (with or without spouse) to Java (borobudur, Cambodia (Angkor Wat), Macau, HKG, China, Vietnam (Hanoi), etc. I would recommend browsing thru%26#39; the discount carriers (similar to Southwest) like TigerAir, JetStarAsia, etc for great destinations at affordable prices.





tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested鈥?/a>




_de_last_one is right,



SIN is a convenient hub for south east asia.



If you can spare 3-4 days, I suggest you visit Angkor temples in Siem Reap; it%26#39;s worth the trip!




One thing you shouldn%26#39;t miss is to try all the different types of local food! They are delicous and have lots of varieties :)





If you want to know how locals live, try visit one or two HDB areas. This is the housing estates where 80% of Singaporeans live. There are inexpensive shops, food centres in those areas.




yup. i have to agree. if your limiting yourself to the city centre then you would definitely miss the experience of learning more about singapore. plus the food in the HDB areas a usually cheaper as compared to the city centre (especially the foodcourts).




May be you can try these few local heartland places to see what locals do. Try a train East-West line to say Bedok, Toa Payoh %26amp; Clementi station. Get out of the station and walk around to see for yourself.





There are other areas too, but I think these 3 are more populated. Anyone would like to suggest otherwise?





Another suggestion, the the train from one end to the other end to see for yourself the daily routes which takes us, the local to and from work and everything we do. see too, alog this line, mosque and temple located side by side one another.





For your travel needs to KL/BBK, you may want to check out the local Straits Times under classified aids - travel. Find local travel agents which takes you up to KL on coach with hotel stay (free and easy) or take on a package few days trip up for Malaysia tour which is inclusive of meals. I am sure there are many out there.




Wow...thanks one and all for these ideas. I%26#39;m a little overwhelmed right now! That%26#39;s a good thing...it sounds like my options are endless.





By all means, keep the suggestions coming!


  • nyx cosmetic
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment