Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Phone in Singapore

My husband and I will be in Singapore for a month, he for work and me for fun. What are the mobile phone options for us? He has AT%26amp; T service that works in many parts of the world, but did not work when he was in South Korea.





Will his American phone work there? I have Sprint, so I know mine won%26#39;t. What%26#39;s our best bet? Rent phones? Buy disposable phones and purchase minutes?





Thanks in advance for your help.



Phone in Singapore


i%26#39;m not sure if your husband%26#39;s phone will work in Singapore or not, but our mobile network technology include GSM, GPRS, UTMS, HSDPA (hehe...i%26#39;m not sure what they meant either, generally most of us are on the GSM network).





there are 3 major telco with pre-paid mobile card services: SingTel (…singtel.com/consumer/…default.asp), StarHub (starhub.com/portal/…) and M1 (m1.com.sg/M1/…) and a company known as SunPage (http://www.sunpage.com.sg/index.htm). you may wish to purchase a cheap phone here and here%26#39;s a good website to get a feel of phone prices (www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceguide/cat.php…)





hope the above helps.



Phone in Singapore


Thanks for your help. I will check out those sites. His work may provide him with a phone, but I will need one as I will be off my myself much of the time.





I will have many more questions over the next few weeks, so I appreciate all imput.





I am so excited for my first trip to Asia and Singapore.




you%26#39;re welcome, most of us are more than happy to help if we%26#39;re able to, just ask. :)




Sorry...I appreciate all INPUT...duh!




Since your husband already has a GSM phone, make sure it works on 900 %26amp; 1800 MHz frequencies. You can look up the specs of the phone model on the web. Also important is whether the phone is already unlocked or whether it is easy to do so. I think CDMA, rather than GSM, is dominant in South Korea, like in the US.





I purchased two unlocked quad-band GSM phones on eBay for $11 each. These were an old model, but since I don%26#39;t have GSM cell phone service in the US, I didn%26#39;t want to spend too much money on phones that wouldn%26#39;t work here. I%26#39;m planning to buy SIM cards from SingTel when I arrive in Singapore. The prepaid ones are called hi!Cards, available at SingTel%26#39;s hello! stores (cute names, eh?), 7-11s %26amp; post offices. You%26#39;ll need your passport to register.





Adding minutes is called ';topping up';, and there are many methods of doing so, including by ATM. The first time has to be done through a Top Up Card, which you can buy when you get the SIM card. If you%26#39;re going to travel around Asia, you can bring Top Up Cards with you, or add minutes in other Asian countries at a Bridge Prepaid Service Counters. Although it might be cheaper to get SIM cards in those countries too. Singtel charges S$6/min. for international roaming in Vietnam, for example.





There%26#39;s a comparison of the major Singapore cell phone prepaid plans at guidemesingapore.com/singapore-life/c565-pre…




Your response was most helpful. I will look into purchasing the phone prior to arrival as you did.





Thank you so much.


  • nyx cosmetic
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment